Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Little Lie Uncovered HER Truth

As a mother I find myself telling little lies here and there to guide my kids in the right direction or to protect them from something. I surprise myself most times as lying does not come easy to me.

This morning on the way to pre-school I reminded Mya to eat her grapes. When she challenged me with her trademark, "Why?" I found a little lie bubbling up. My desire for her to consume every food group before going off to learn, led me down the dark path of mother-lies.

I heard women that came before me telling their child, "Eat your vegetables so you grow big/get muscles."

I knew Mya wasn't interested in big muscles so I lied with, "Eat your grapes, honey, because they keep your hair beautiful."

Both her hands opened up to the heavens, she looked at me like I was a moron, tilted her head to the side and said, "But my hair is already beautiful!"

Yes, you confident little child, it is. Don't ever let anyone ever tell you differently.

1 comment: