Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sigh of Relief

The last few months I have been blessed with some new friendships in a group of women who have built their families through transracial adoption.

We meet once a month to discuss a book we are reading and hash out our insecurities, brag about our children, talk hair, and boost each other's confidence. Overall, it is one of my favorite evenings of the month.

Mya is usually still awake when the ladies arrive. Antonio dutifully gets her to bed but she always needs a goodnight kiss. I am more than willing to end her day with a kiss, and she always provides me with a good story to tell when I get back down stairs.

Last month she said, "Mommy, you come back in here after your girlfriends leave." Where did she learn to call them my girlfriends? I asked Antonio, and it wasn't him!

Last night she said she wanted to say a prayer. I said, "Great who do you want to pray for?" She replied, "Your friends."

Aww, I naively thought she could sense the love and desire to do right by our children in the women chatting in our living room.

"Mya, what would you like to pray about for my friends?"

She took out her binky and said, "Dear God, I pray that Mommy's friends go home."

These new friendships have been such a sigh of relief for me, but having this amazing (and sassy) daughter who is part of the reason they came into my life, can only make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment