Wednesday, July 8, 2009

How Day, Mommy?

When Mya sits down to the table for a snack or a meal she always asks, "How day, Mommy?" It sparks a conversation about our activities and is a great teachable moment.

After her nap she sat down with a bowl of shells and cheese (she was really hungry today) for snack. I was particularly grumpy after spending an hour putting her in time-out, after time-out, as she did not want to go to sleep. At 2:40 she gave in and went to bed without tears.

So when she asked, "Mommy, how day?"

I replied, "Well Mya, I'm really frustrated because you cry so much at bed time and I had to put you in time out."

She sheepishly looked down at her spoon, then returned her big, brown-eyed-gaze to me and said, "I'm sorry, Mommy."

I then asked why she cries at bedtime. Her response was that she just isn't ready to sleep. I used this moment to remind her who was in charge. I could tell she felt real bad.

I then asked her, "Mya what should you say when Mommy says it is time for bed?"

Huge smile, head tilted to the side, cute as can be..."Okay, Mommy!"

We'll see if it actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment